A weekend fishing trip is the best way to kickstart a new week, but it can become unenjoyable if you forget the fishing gear at home. Having a fishing backpack allows you to carry fishing line, bait, bobbers, swivels, hooks, and everything else you’d need on the trip. Along with making it more organized, these bags also amp up the whole experience.
Our curated list will introduce you to some of the best fishing backpacks that you can use for storage. Whether you’re going on a Sunday adventure with the buddies or taking your kids to their first fishing trip, you need a reliable fishing backpack.
- Out 5 best fishing backpacks
- Fishing backpack buyer's guide
Out 5 best fishing backpacks
Wild River, a leading name in the backpack business, has done a remarkable job on this fishing backpack by combining utility with durability. It has an integrated LED light system, which lets you fish even during the evening or nighttime. If you wear sunglasses or prescription glasses, you can keep them safe in the moulded glasses holder. It's one of the best fishing backpacks if you don't mind spending the money on it.
Thanks to the removable plier holder, you can switch the pliers from backpack to belt and vice versa to keep them in close reach. In addition, the rain cover keeps the fishing gear safe no matter how harsh the weather is. The front pocket opens up to provide a surface for any handy work required during the trip.
- FISH AT ALL HOURS: This lighted fishing tackle backpack features an integrated LED light system so you can fish any time of day.
- PROTECT YOUR GLASSES: This fishing tackle backpack has a mounted molded sunglass holder to help keep your glasses safe.
- REMOVABLE PLIER HOLDER: This fishing tackle backpack has a removable plier holder so your pliers go from bag to belt and are easy to find.
- PROTECTION FROM THE ELEMENTS: This fishing backpack features a protective rain cover that can be quickly deployed to keep your tackle backpack contents safe.
- CONVENIENT WORK SURFACE: The front pocket cover on this fishing tackle backpack folds down to provide a handy work surface.
At the bottom, you’ll find the lower compartment with capacity for four 3500-series trays. The interior has been smartly divided into compartments for reels, trays, and personal accessories, ensuring that you can find everything quickly. Everything from your phone’s power bank to the compass goes into the mesh pockets where you can reach them easily. More importantly, the backpack has base pads for keeping fishing supplies safe from physical damage and moisture in the wilderness.
- Holds four 3500-series and six 3600-series trays
- 7.8 pounds
- 18.5 x 17 x 8.5 inches
- Integrated LED lighting for nighttime fishing
- Removable plier holder
- Interior and exterior mesh pockets
- Sunglasses holder
- Comes with a rain cover
- Too heavy
- Lacks a drink holder
- Edges fray easily
If the fishing backpack mentioned above is too big or bulky for you, this one is a smaller option with pretty much the same features. Despite being smaller, the backpack has ample storage in the upper and lower compartments. Depending on how you plan to use the compartments, you can adjust the removable divider for storing items of different sizes.
Owing to the padded straps, you won’t have trouble carrying the backpack for an extended period. Additionally, the sternum straps hold on to your shoulder snugly, keeping you comfortable. When out in nature, you might have to do some handy work to catch the fish of your choice. Luckily, the front pocket cover opens up to provide you the space for working.
- PLENY OF STORAGE: Large upper storage area with removable divider, converts tackle backpack for storage of larger items
- COMFORTABLE: Large adjustable padded shoulder straps with added sternum strap are featured on this Wild River fishing tackle backpack for better comfort and fit
- BUILT IN WORK SURFACE: Front pocket cover folds down to provide a handy work surface on this Wild River tackle backpack.
- WATERPROOF POCKET: Clear internal pocket in tackle backpack keeps your valuables dry.
- TACKLE BACKPACK FITS FOUR TRAYS: Lower tray compartment for storage of up to four #3600 style trays
The zippers are sturdy and easy to work with, giving access to the fishing supplies without a hassle. If you take your phone or other electronics along on the trip, keep them in the waterproof internal pocket for protection against rain. You never know when it might start dripping, so this specialised pocket is suitable for electronic compass, GPS, smartphone, and bite alarms. The lower compartment holds up to four number 3600 trays, with two trays included in the package. Even though it lacks integrated LED lights and a sunglasses holder, this backpack meets your basic fishing needs.
- 3600-series trays
- 4.9 pounds
- 15.2 x 9.5 x 17.5 inches
- Sternum shoulder straps
- Shoulder straps provide a snug fit
- Waterproof internal pocket
- Adjustable interior divider
- Built-in work surface
- Poor stitching on the shoulder straps
- No base pads
- No glasses holder
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option that ticks all the boxes, consider this Piscifun fishing backpack. Made of high-quality nylon fibers, the bag will endure wear and tear without ripping apart. Also, the zippers are abrasion-resistant, which means that they can take the toil of the wilderness. It is easily one of the best fishing backpacks.
Along with being durable, the backpack is also water-resistant, allowing you to fish in any weather while keeping the supplies safe and dry. The detachable and adjustable shoulder straps let you wear the bag as you want. If you’re not comfortable wearing it as a backpack, turn it into a sling bag, shoulder bag, and handbag by simply extending the strap. When it comes to storage, this backpack provides a lot of room for pliers, lure boxes, lines, and electronics. Due to the ergonomic design, the backpack sits comfortably on your back, not fatiguing the shoulders or neck.
- WATER-RESISTANT & DURABLE: Water-resistant 1000D high density nylon fabrics, made with high-end equipment to ensure its safety. The abrasion resistant and indestructible KAM buckle and SBS zippers (Full-length double zippers), more durable than the competitors'.
- ADJUSTABLE & DETACHABLE STRAP: Two left/right exchangeable, adjustable and detachable shoulder straps. The main strap length can be extended up to 51.2'', while the associate strap can be extended to 36.2''. Can be used as Sling shoulder bag, backpack, handbag, chest bag, fishing tackle bag, travelling bag etc. Two rod belts to hold your rods.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL TACKLE BAG: Dimension of main compartment: 11.8*8.3*3.9in. It is convenient for you to storage the lures, pliers, line, fishing lure boxes, wallet, phone, ipad, camera, books, keys and other accessories you need in your life.
- UNIQUE INNOVATIVE DESIGN: The humanized reflective sticker helps you be safe by reflecting the lights at dark situation. Ergonomic overall design (widened shoulder strap and rear breathable mesh design) makes the user feel very comfortable.
- MULTIPLE STORAGE COMPARTMENTS & EXTERIOR POCKETS: There are 3 components in the main pocket for clarifying your stuff. 3 external zippered pockets for storing your daily necessaries. Left pocket for water cup/bottle, ,right pocket for the tools, such as pliers. Fashionable and durable whether its for adults or kids. Best choice for outdoor life enthusiasts.
Unlike the products mentioned earlier, this bag has a pocket for storing your water bottle with a string to keep it in place. Don’t be fooled by the outer look because the bag has a lot of compartments on the inside. With three sections in the primary storage pocket, a water bottle pocket on the left, and three external zipped pockets, this bag has space for everything you need. While the pliers and fish grippers go in the two bottom pockets, the fishing rod stays secure in the rod belt.
- 1000D nylon fibers
- SBS zippers
- 51.2 strap extension
- 1.65 pounds
- 8.3 x 4 x 11.8 inches
- Adjustable main and associate straps
- Water bottle pocket
- Two extra rod belts
- Padded hand strap for a comfortable grip
- Shoulder straps are small for bigger wearers
- Non-padded straps
- Side pockets are hard to reach
Equipped with all the features you need for an organized fishing trip, this fishing backpack is ideal for people who fish in their local lakes or streams. It has thick shoulder straps with extra padding, which keeps you comfortable during wear, especially when the bag is full to the brim. Besides, the heavy-duty construction ensures that the bag will last the test of time.
Made with textured fabric, it can bear the harsh terrain and weather. If you’ve had bad experiences with narrow main pockets, you’ll like the zippered front opening. Instead of looking from the top into a pile of supplies, you can open the bag in the front and take out whatever you want. Additionally, it has zippered side pockets for keeping valuable items such as your phone or wallet.
- Durable textured fabric construction
- 2-way zippered front opening for easy access
- Thick Padded Shoulder Straps for comfort
- Custom Shimano zipper pulls
- Multiple pockets for accessories and gear storage
These pockets can hold many things, including gloves, sunglasses, shoe covers, and even a rain suit.However, you might not be satisfied with the division of the inner compartments. If that’s the case, use the adjustable divider to separate the storage space into compartment sizes of your liking. The backpack comes with four 3650-series utility boxes that can be stored in it easily.
Instead of being secured with zippers, the boxes are attached through Velcro strips, making it quicker to access them. When not wearing on your back, you can turn it into a travel bag by transferring the boxes to the main compartment. However, beware of the rain, and wet lakeside ground as the bag does not have any waterproof lining on the bottom. Overall, it’s a durable, spacious, and reasonably-priced fishing backpack that will fit everything for your next adventure.
- 16” X 17” X 8.5” (Medium)
- 15” X 10.5” X 9” (Compact)
- 4 pounds
- Ample space in the side pockets
- Front opening for quicker access
- Thick padded shoulder straps
- Heavy-duty, durable construction
- Does not have a waterproof lining
- No water bottle holder
- Tricky to pull out trays
Lastly, we have the Kingdom multifunctional bag on our list, which can be used for fishing, camping, and every other activity in the wild. With a nylon fabric construction and high-quality stitching, this bag is truly meant to last for years. Being well-made and durable, the zippers slide open smoothly, keeping your belongings safe.
Whether you want the bag to sit on your lower back or one shoulder, pull on the strap to adjust accordingly. You can convert it into a handbag as well. If you value aesthetics as much as functionality, this bag will suit your needs. It is available in khaki and green colours with a bait pattern.
- 🐟FAST SHIPPING—Please ignore show arrive time when seller fulfilled. We promise send the package within 24 hours and the average time for successful delivery is 7-15 business days. If you order more than 200$, we will send FREE Expedited Shipping (3 to 5 business days delivery).
- 🐟KINGDOMFISHING—KingdomFishing is a registered brand in US. We have our own factory, we provide wholesale and customer service, just please contact us, we will reply within 24 hours. We support 30 days unconditional return without any damage of products.
- 🐟MATERIAL—Made of strong 1000D waterproof nylon fabric and exquisite overall craftsmanship with cleanly finished seams. Zippers are a very important component of a bag and should never be compromised. This multifunctional bag adopts tough and heavy duty ykk zippers, sturdy, easy to slide and working smoothly, worry no more about anything falling out and getting lost.
- 🐟COMFORTABLE—Can be adjusted to accommodate a fluffy personality or a skinny mini. Easily and quickly adjusts to whatever length you need and will remain at your chosen length without loosening. With multiple compartments and multiple small pockets, you can organize everything. The pockets can hold all belongings that you’ll ever need like energy bar, key, card, ID, money, inhaler and medicine.
- 🐟APPLICATIONS—It can be used as a shoulder travel bag. You can buy this sport athletic gear for your friends and family now without worrying too much about their size, men or women. It'll make a great addtion for your daily errands and outdoor activities, perfect for walking, running, biking, hiking, traveling, festivals, fairs, concerts and farmers markets etc.
It has two main pockets that can fit larger items such as lure boxes and fishing lines. Other than these, there are multiple small pockets in the front and on the sides for smaller items. Instead of throwing everything in the bigger compartment, organise your supplies so that you can find them easily. Also, there’s a drink holder on the side of the bag for storing water or an energy drink. A backpack with lots of space.
Along with being sturdy and roomy, the bag is also waterproof, making it suitable for outdoor activities. Your accessories and lures will stay safe from the rain in the internal and external pockets. Available at a reasonable price, this backpack meets most fishermen’s needs and definitely takes the style game up a notch.
- 16.9*9.4*20.9 inch
- 3.2 pounds
- 1000D waterproof nylon fabric
- Two-color options
- Has a drink holder
- Can be converted into a handbag or shoulder bag
- Scratch-resistant bottom lining
- Tight chest strap
- Hardly spacious enough for a pole
Fishing backpack buyer's guide
When looking through the best fishing backpacks, you have to keep a few things in mind. Although most backpacks meet basic needs, you should aim to find the best one for your particular needs when going out there.
How to Choose the Best Fishing Backpack?
Know your requirements before you purchase a backpack. Level of comfort, how frequently you fish, and the weather in your region are a few factors to consider.
Firstly, you need to determine how much storage you need. If you only take a few fishing supplies along or go on one-day trips, a smaller bag will be suitable. However, fishermen who spend many days outdoors need bigger bags. Preferably, go for a bag that can carry four to six lure trays. Besides, if you take your camera or tablet on fishing trips for nature photography, you’ll need more space.
You might want a drink holder or glasses pocket in the bag too. Make sure the bag is big enough for fishing gear and has extra pockets for smaller items. To determine how much space you require, lay out all the fishing supplies on the floor. This will give you a rough estimate of the capacity you’re looking for.
Depending on where you live, waterproofing may or may not be a necessity. If your region gets a lot of rain or the weather is unpredictable, it’s better to choose a bag with sufficient waterproofing. Even if you’re not worried about the rain, the bag should at least have some degree of water-resistance as lakesides, and fishing boats are often wet. Water-proof pockets will keep the bait dry and protect your electronics from damage. Some backpacks come with a rain cover, providing extra protection. However, this isn’t a necessity as you can buy a rain cover later on if you feel the need.
Not every fishing backpack has extra storage for all your items, such as a power snack, sunglasses, or extra batteries.
If you need additional storage, look for backpacks with the following features:
- Bait or lure boxes
- Storage pouches
- Drink holder
- Phone and wallet pocket
- Fishing rod holder
Keep in mind that you’ll be wearing your backpack for hours, so it must be lightweight and comfortable. If a backpack is already four pounds when empty, you can expect it to be unbearably heavy with items. Here’s the tricky part: heavier backpacks have a sturdier frame, making them more suitable for carrying the load. Thus, you’d have to compromise on sturdiness to carry it around comfortably.
This factor ties in with weight as the weight can influence the level of comfort you experience while wearing a backpack. However, another feature that affects comfort is shoulder padding. Make sure that the shoulder straps have padding, as this will prevent them from cutting into your shoulders during wear.
What Should You Carry in a Fishing Bag?
The biggest buzzkill on a fishing trip is to realise that you’ve forgotten the reels or bait at home. Often, people fill up their fishing backpacks with things they don’t even need and leave the important things at home. The best fishing backpacks will help you remind of what you need because of specialised pockets on them.
Here are the things that you must keep in your fishing backpack:
- Tacklebox: This box contains lines, lures, hooks, sinkers, and other small items.
- Bait: Most bags come with bait trays, allowing you to store bait in them.
- Reels: Having extra reels will allow you to try out different fishing methods or fish with companions.
- Gadgets: Fishing bags these days have waterproof pockets for your phone, camera, GPS, compass, and other devices.
- Rods: Storing extra rods in the backpack facilitates in catching more fish as they increase your chances of laying bait.
- Sunglasses: If you’re fishing out in the Sun, you need to keep your eyes protected. In case your bag does not have a sunglasses pocket, keep them in any of the outer pockets.
- Drinks/Snacks: Fish won’t catch on to your bait in a few minutes, so you’ll be spending a few hours out there. Take an energy drink or snacks in your bag to get an energy boost whenever you feel hungry.
- Documents: Don’t forget to take your ID, a map, and a fishing license for a smooth experience.
What Are the Advantages of a Fishing Backpack?
Fishing backpacks have many advantages over tackle boxes, which is why they are so popular among adventurers today.
- They have sufficient room for fishing gear and personal devices.
- Since they’re worn on the back, your hands have freedom of movement.
- They let you carry important documents, food, and drinks safely.
- Some of them have integrated lights, allowing you to fish in the dark.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Fishing Backpack?
Despite being a popular choice, there are some aspects in which backpacks can’t beat tackle boxes. The best fishing backpacks don't suffer any of these traits.
- Not all fishing backpacks are waterproof.
- They’re more susceptible to wear and tear than a tackle box.
- Backpacks with sturdier frames are heavier and can tire you quickly.
How to Make Your Fishing Backpack Last Longer?
Although fishing backpacks are made for the outdoors, there’s a limit to the abuse they can bear. If you want your backpack to last longer, make sure you only store as much as it can carry. Don’t try to stuff the backpack to beyond its capacity because this will damage the zippers over time.
Your backpack might be waterproof, but this doesn’t mean it should always be sitting in a pool of water. Buy a rain cover if your region experiences a lot of rainfall. Washing machines might be harsh on some backpacks and rip the seams or damage their color. Before tossing it in the washing machine, check if the bag is machine-washable. By taking some minor steps, you can increase your bag’s lifespan.
The chances to find all the desired features in a single backpack are very slim. However, you can buy a backpack that has most of the qualities. Among the products reviewed in this article, the Piscifun fishing backpack is the clear winner, considering it is durable, comfortable, and sufficiently spacious. Instead of focusing on a single feature, the manufacturers have finessed every aspect, from appearance to usability.
While the nylon build and abrasion-resistant zippers ensure durability, the ergonomic design promises comfort. This bag has it all: plenty of pockets, zippered external compartments, bottom storage, water-proofing, and two-rod belts. Apart from having adequate room for storage, this bag can be converted into a handbag, sling bag or a shoulder bag.
Its customisability makes it suitable for short, overnight, and long fishing trips. By giving you multiple customisation and storage options, this bag will surely enhance your fishing experience. Hopefully, this guide helped you understand how to find the best backpack for your specific personal requirements. If you buy the right fishing backpack, you’re sorted for three to five years, depending on how much you use it.
Related links > The Best bow hunting backpacks
Last update on 2020-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API