Hunting coyotes is hard because they are very smart predators. Consequently, you need to be smarter than then, for example using the best coyote calls for a successful hunt. Manufacturers have designed many calls with different features, sizes, shapes, camouflage... But, when shopping, how do you choose among the best coyote calls that will fit your needs and preferences?
- Top Cayote Calls for Hunting Reviews
- The Buyer’s Guide to coyote calls for hunting
- FAQs about electronic calls
- Our Verdict
Top Cayote Calls for Hunting Reviews
RATING – *****
PRICE – $$$$
The FOXPRO Shockwave is a premium coyote call. It is of superior quality when compared to others. It features two speakers that produce 100 sounds that can be upgraded to 1,000 sounds, and it’s easy to customize. It allows sounds to be emitted at once. It is pricier than the rest, but you get value for money since it has a fox motion that imitates the moving prey by fading sound from one speaker to the other.
The two speakers on the coyote call enable several sounds to be emitted at once. The default sounds that come with this coyote call include raccoons sounds, crows, fawns, dogs, kittens, rabbit in distress sound, screams, male howls, submissive yips, puppies’ yips, and various female coyote howls. This device offers an extended range of sound by manipulating the real animal’s volume, hence providing a variety of sounds with little or no movement. It also features an in-built decoy.
- Fox motion mimic moving prey by fading sound from left speaker to right one, Fox Fusion Mix match any two sounds of your choice
- Fox pitch manipulate the "pitch" of any sound in an effort to trigger a response, cast virtually hands-free calling with Fox cast sequence files
- Fox Bang automatically maps your caller to a predetermined setting after discharging your firearm
- 2 Reentrant horn speakers, 2 Tweeters, File formats MP3, WAV, OGG, FLAC, 24B, and FXP
- 100 preloaded sounds (1000 capacity), operates on 10 AA batteries
• SIZE: 12.2 x 5.8 x 7 inches
• WEIGHT: 4.8 pounds
• POWER: Requires 10 Double A batteries (AA)
• Has two horn speakers with a pair of tweeters
• Plays a wide range of files like FXP, 24B, FLAC, OGG, WAV and MP3
• It has two speakers that produce several sounds at the same time.
• Easy to upgrade sounds from the standard 100 to over 1000 sounds.
• Minimizes movement by manipulating the sounds to imitate movement.
• It is pricey if you have a limited budget.
• It uses a remote control that occasionally malfunctions.
RATING – ****
PRICE - $$
The FOXPRO Inferno is one of the best coyote calls at its price range. This device is small and lightweight, which makes it easy to carry it around. It comes with remote control with a large display screen to help you control it from a distance, and is powered on two AA batteries. It features one horn speaker that emits excellent quality sound. It also has an external jack for adding a speaker. It has a storage capacity for over 200 sounds, but comes with 200 standard sounds installed.
This caller can be easily programmed by connecting to your PC via the integrated USB port. The caller also has an internal speaker switch for turning the speaker on and off and 3.5 auxiliary jack for linking it with a FOXPRO decoy. It comes with an excellent tripod mount that can be used in any terrain, which will save you time spent mounting the device in the field.
- Stores up to 200 sounds in total (Comes with 75)
- Inferno remote control with large, easy-to-read screen
- Integrated USB port allows you to Connect your caller to a home pc for reprogramming
- Auxiliary Jack for linking-up with a FOXPRO decoy
- Made in the USA
• SIZE: 75 x 3.75 x 5 inches
• WEIGHT: 1.5 pounds, including the batteries.
• Material: it is made up of plastic
• It is powered by four-AA batteries.
• Has a USB port for connecting to the PC.
• Has a 3.5mm Auxiliary Jack.
• Storage capacity: Can hold 200 sounds, comes pre-installed with 75 animal sounds.
• It is small and lightweight, hence portable.
• It is made of a robust exterior plastic, making it durable.
• It is user friendly; it can easily be manipulated to fit your requirements.
• It is reasonably priced, making it an affordable hunting option.
• The tripod stand helps reduce the time spent mounting the caller in uneven terrains.
• It comes with one speaker; therefore, you will have to buy an additional speaker when hunting in windy and rainy weather.
• The caller comes with four-AA batteries, which don’t last long.
• It is not waterproof; therefore, you need to keep it away from the rain.
• Has a limited starter package, you will need to buy more components to expand the range of the caller.
RATING – ****
PRICE - $
This is a reasonably priced electronic coyote call that can hold over 15 quality FOXPRO sounds. It comes with one high-efficiency horn speaker that can play two high-quality sounds simultaneously. This coyote caller has a coyote locater and can mimic various sounds like the female coyote howls, coyote pair, puppies in distress, grey fox puppies sounds, jackrabbit, hare, fawn in distress, woodpecker, nutty nuthatch, crow fight among others.
The FOXPRO Deadbone is designed with a sturdy exterior made of hardened plastic to make it durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions. It is also lightweight and small, hence can be carried around with ease.
- 15 high-quality FOXPRO sounds (note: these sounds cannot be changed)
- Play 2 sounds simultaneously
- High-efficiency horn speaker
- Pilot Lamp/low Battery indicator glows green while on, blinks when batteries are getting low
- Made in the USA
• SIZE: 7 x 4 x 5.5 inches
• WEIGHT: 1.6 pounds, including the batteries.
• Can hold over 15 anima sounds.
• Four-AA batteries power this device.
• It has a battery indicator that blinks to indicate the battery level.
• Has the ability to play two sounds at the same time.
• Have high-efficiency horn speakers
• Made of sturdy plastic
• Small and light; easily portable.
• It comes with 15 FOXPRO sounds that cannot be changed.
• The four-AA batteries do not last for long.
• Lacks an auxiliary port for additional speakers.
4. Lucky Duck
RATING – ****
PRICE - $$$
If you are looking for a moderately priced but efficient coyote caller, then the Lucky Duck is a go-to device. This predator caller comes pre-installed with 50 predator alluring high-quality sounds that have been compiled by the famous Rick Paillet, who won the Coyote Calling contest. The caller can hold upto 2000 high-quality sounds and is powered on ten-AA batteries.
It is operated using a remote control which has a large LCD to show the device parameters remotely. The remote’s LCD also help you to manipulate the parameters easily. The remote control does not require a line of sight, provided it is within a range of 300 feet from the caller. The device comes equipped with a motorized decoy, which includes a long-range remote control that can be conveniently folded to fit in the caller for portability. This coyote call comes with a standard tripod thread at the bottom and is compact and lightweight for portability.
- The Riot comes preloaded with 50 predator-enticing sounds, recorded and compiled by The Verminator, Rick Paillet, and used to win the World Coyote Calling Contest
- Holds up to 2,000 sounds, and runs on 10 AA batteries (remote runs on 3 AA batteries)
- Includes a motorozed decoy and long range remote control, that store conveniently in the caller for easy travel
- Remote control does not require line of sight, and reaches up to 300 feet
- Universal tripod thread on bottom of the caller, compact design for extreme portability
• It comes pre-installed with 50 high-quality sounds.
• It has a motorized decoy.
• POWER: is powered on Ten-AA batteries.
• Its sound library can be upgraded to hold up to 2000 high-quality sounds.
• It has a long-range remote control that can control the device from a range of over 300 feet.
• The remote control does not need a direct line of sight to operate.
• It is made up of a durable high-quality plastic exterior.
• It is not waterproof, therefore, should be sheltered from rains.
• It has only one horn-speaker.
• It has standard features, yet its power consumption is high.
RATING – ****
PRICE – $
The Icotec GEN2 GC300 is an affordable coyote caller, yet durable and practical. Even though it is cheaper, it comes packed with excellent features that pricey devices have. It features muffles sound, which is excellent since it enables the device to operate in all kinds of weather. It comes loaded with 12 high-quality professional sounds and can allow you to program your sounds.
It has a high-quality horn speaker that can play two sounds at the same time to increases your chances of attracting the predators. The speakers produce 120 dB of sound at 15 Watts, which is sufficient for most hunters, although other callers can produce louder sounds. If you don’t require to customize the sounds or to have a vast library of predator luring sounds, this caller will satisfy your hunting needs. The caller is designed with lightweight and durable plastic cover, making it durable and easily portable. It has a sturdy base, thus can be mounted on any kind of terrain.
- 300 yard remote range
- Play 2 sounds at the same time
- NEW - Pause button
- NEW - Decoy port and activation button on remote
- NEW - Backlit buttons for night hunting
• Has a remote control with a radius of 300 yards.
• The speaker can emit two sounds at the same time.
• Powered by four-AA batteries
• Comes pre-installed with `12 high-quality professional sounds for different species.
• Remote works from 300 yards away, and the batteries can be swapped.
• The exterior is designed using plastic; therefore, it is lightweight and can be carried everywhere.
• It is not programmable.
• It has a limited number of sounds; you may require more than 12 sounds for a good hunt.
RATING – ***
PRICE - $
If you are looking for an affordable coyote caller, then look no further than the Cass Creek CC939. It is a lightweight and easy to use electronic predator call that features moving sound. This coyote caller does not have bulky speakers and is easily portable with little or no setup time. It features a high-quality speaker that produces clear loud sounds that can be heard by the predators even in windy conditions.
A handheld transmitter controls the remote receiver. The remote control helps you to operate the caller from a distance of over 100 feet. It comes pre-installed with predator sounds created and recorded by famous naturalists. The handheld caller is designed for comfort and ease of use. It features a hardened plastic exterior that is light in weight and durable. The caller is small and easily portable.
- Powerful Remote Electronic Predator Call from Cass Creek
- Includes real predator sounds by world famous naturalists, digitally recorded & digitally reproduced
- Includes long range remote control that has an effective remote range of 100 feet
- Each Cass Creek Nomad Predator Electronic Game Call Receiver is remote controlled by a small handheld Transmitter
- Brings coyotes in close for an easier shot
• SIZE: It is 11.6 x 7.9 x 1.6 inches
• It weighs 1.15 pounds.
• Has a 100 feet range remote control
• Four- AA batteries power it.
• Does not need set up time.
• Has a remote control that can operate the caller from over 100 feet radius.
• Small and easy to carry around; it can be clipped on your belt for transport.
• Has clips that can be conveniently attached to trees, bush, or the fence.
• The battery life is too short.
• It has a limited storage capacity.
RATING – ***
PRICE - $$$
It is a reasonably priced and compact electronic coyote caller that is packed with great features. It comes pre-programmed with 12 high-quality predator sounds developed and created by the great hunting expert Randy Anderson. The Primos Dog Catcher is designed from high-quality composite mounded plastic, making the device exterior more durable and light in weight. Additionally, the robust exterior can withstand shocks from impact and weather conditions. This coyote caller features one horn speaker that can produce around 95 – 100 decibels that can play two sounds at the same time at high volume.
Additionally, the coyote caller has a 150-yard range remote control to assist you to set parameters from a distance wirelessly. The Primos Dog Catchers uses four-AA batteries, which is great since it gives the call over 60 hours of battery life. This means the batteries will last the entire hunting period without replacement.
- Compact electronic predator caller that's light weight and simple to use
- Plays two sounds simultaneously
- Up to 150 yard range
- Compact electronic predator caller
- Light weight and simple to use
• It measures 10 x 7 x 5 inches.
• Weight: It weighs 2.4 pounds.
• It is powered on four-AA batteries.
• It is compact and lightweight, thus easy to carry.
• Has high-quality horn speakers that produce high volume sound.
• The battery life can last for hours of hunting.
• Has a small library of sounds, comes programmed with only 12 predator luring sounds.
• It does not have an auxiliary port to connect an external speaker.
• The remote control requires a clear line of sight to the caller to function.
• It is not programmable.
RATING – ****
PRICE - $$
The Primos Dogg Trap electronic coyote call is sturdy and an easy to use caller. It comes packed with pro-features at a fair price. This caller comes equipped with over 36 high-quality predator luring sounds with four pre-programmed expert hunts. It is made up of one high-quality rotating distortion-free horn speaker. It features a 10-20 minutes sound sequence for attracting coyotes.
The caller comes with a 150-yard range remote control that offers you great control from a safe distance while at the same time does not require a clear line of sight to the caller. It is easy to download sounds to the caller, thanks to the provision of the USB port. It is a loud caller and can lure coyotes from over 500 yards away, thanks to the high volume that can be achieved from the speaker.
- Rotating no distortion speaker
- Electronic predator call with 36 sounds and 4 preprogrammed Expert Hunts
- Each Expert Hunt features a 10- to 20-minute call sequence for attracting animals
- Produces long-reaching, ultra-realistic frequency ranges to maximize sound projection
- Easy-to-use remote with 150-yard range; includes USB port for downloading sounds
• SIZE: measures 9.4 x 6.4 x 6.4 inches
• It weighs 2.6 pounds, including batteries.
• It has a USB port.
• It has provision for controlling decoy, whereby you can use the decoy button as a hot button.
• Has four pre-programmed expert hunts that go from cottontail in distress to puppies in danger, hence making it highly effective in attracting coyotes.
• Easy to add sounds via the USB port.
• It is designed with a robust and hardy exterior to absorb shocks and protect it from harsh external conditions.
• The calls produced are of high quality and volume that can be heard from far.
• The remote-control range is short and is only used to turn the caller on.
• It doesn’t come with a tripod stand; thus you will have to buy a stand for it separately.
• It is not waterproof, thus should be protected against rains and wet surfaces.
RATING – ****
PRICE - $$$$
The Primos Hunting 3756 is a top quality predator caller. It comes pre-programmed with Expert Hunts that contains high-quality predator luring sounds developed and recorded by Randy Anderson and other sounds produced by Primos. If you are looking for quality features and you have a flexible budget, then this is one of the best coyotes calls you should buy. Primos is a trusted brand that has been developing quality hunting devices for years, and this caller is not an exception.
It features a high-quality horn speaker in the middle, and additional 80-degree cone speakers that delivers 180-degree calling coverage of high-volume sound. The body of the caller is designed with rugged plastic to provide the necessary protection against the harsh external environmental conditions. It is compact and easy to carry with a 2 GB internal memory that can hold over 1000 sounds. It also features an auxiliary jack for connecting additional external speakers and also for operating motion decoys. Additionally, it is controlled using a 2.5-inch color LCD remote control.
- Primos has been trusted by individuals for decades; Products that are made of quality material and designed to withstand the toughest environments; Trust the Brand that others in the field use and don't settle for less
- Quality materials used for all primos products
- 100 percent designed and tested for the toughest situations and environments
- The Primos Alpha Dogg Electronic Call is made of rugged plastic and is easily portable
- Rotating directional speaker system for dynamic, realistic sounds
• SIZE: it measures 12.7 x 11.7 x 14.5 inches
• Weight: The device weighs 5.1 pounds when packaged with batteries.
• It is powered by three-AA batteries.
• Has rotating directional speakers to provide 180-degree sounds.
• The external body is designed with Realtree MAX-1 Camouflage
• It is designed with rotating speakers to offer dynamic and realistic animal sounds.
• The speakers are collapsible, making the caller easily portable.
• Easy to add sounds using the USB port up to 1000 sounds.
• Can add additional speakers to increase coverage via the auxiliary port.
• It is designed to camouflage efficiently in trees and bushes.
• It is not waterproof.
• Batteries fun out quickly at high volumes.
RATING – ***
PRICE - $$
The Icotec GEN2 GC500 is a moderately priced predator caller. Designed from mounded plastic, it has a sturdy exterior to protect it from harsh environmental conditions and impact. The caller can be operated from 300 yards away, thanks to its remote control that does not require a clear line of sight to the caller. It comes pre-installed with over 200 custom, high-quality predator sounds. It comes with advanced features that allow you to save up to 8 calls in 2 separate screens that can be added as favorite screens.
Additionally, this device comes with a pause button to stop the call and an on/off switch along with screen light instead of a timer.
It also features an electronic decoy that can be triggered remotely using the remote control. This device is easily programmable, allowing you to customize and add sounds and save on its SD media card. It is powered on four-AA batteries while the remote control comes with one cell of 9 volts. It has a sturdy exterior designed from lightweight plastic; hence it is durable and easy to carry.
- 300 Yard Remote Range - No Line of Sight Required!
- Includes 200 custom professional calls
- NEW Save up to 8 Calls in 2 Favorites Screens
- NEW Pause Call Button
- NEW On/Off Button & Screen Light (no more timer)
• SIZE: it measures 8 x 4 x 6 inches.
• Has a USB port for adding custom sounds.
• It is powered by four-AA batteries of 1.5 volts each.
• Lightweight and easily portable.
• It has a sturdy body to protect it from impact and harsh environmental conditions.
• Easy to program via the USB port.
• Has a large internal storage capacity that can hold additional custom sounds.
• The remote control does not require a clear line of sight, thus it can be operated from anywhere within the distant range of 300 yards.
• It is not waterproof.
• The battery gets worn out very fast when the caller operates at a high volume.
The Buyer’s Guide to coyote calls for hunting
If you are a coyote hunter, then it demands that you have the best coyote calls for hunting the predator. You will get many coyote calls online, but how do you determine which is the best for you?
Here are some of the factors that you need to pay attention to when purchasing an electronic coyote call device.
Consider your budget. If you want the best coyote call in the market, you should be willing to spend a little more for the premium features. Many companies design coyote calls of different prices to fit your budget and specific preferences.
There are several brands of predator calls on the market, it is important to focus on reputable brands as opposed to seeking for a cheap coyote call. Go through the reviews of the products from different brands so as to choose the best one. More often, a brand that has been in existence for a while will usually offer the best predator call devices.
When choosing the best coyote call, you need to establish how big your coverage area is. The size of your hunting area will determine whether you will need a single or multi-speaker. Multi-speaker callers will offer a wider range and produces realistic sounds compared to single-speaker coyote calls. Some callers come with an auxiliary port for adding external speakers.
Avoid buying a device that will break down in a few months. Go for the best coyote caller in your price range that has a sturdy and firm construction. It should also offer excellent sounds and longer batter life. For serious hunting, you need something that will last longer and is robust enough to withstand the harsh conditions in the field like rain, sun and snow.
Although an important feature, it can be forfeited for lower price devices. A programmable caller can be updated through a PC, meaning you are able to customize the sounds, and add or remove sounds at will to fit your specific hunting needs.
The device should be easily portable, light in weight, and excellent in camouflaging. You device should be easy to carry around, while at the same time can be easily hidden in the grass or bushes.
Your hunting needs will dictate the kind of features required. Some of the important features to consider are the remote control, USB port, Auxilliary port, tripod stand among others. These features may be present or absent in coyote calls, depending on the price range. Determine the features you really need prior to purchasing a predator call.
FAQs about electronic calls
Which predator call is the best for me?
No single device is the best coyote call since there are many factors to consider. If you want an affordable call that is loaded with great features, then you can consider the Icotech GEN2 GC300. It is reasonably priced and has all the standard features.
How do you get the value out of your coyote call device?
First, purchase a coyote call that is within your price range. After that, you need to use the installed sounds to their best extent. Coyotes are smart, but with the right sound and volume control, you will successfully make a kill. You will also need to mix the distress sounds and vary the volume to produce realistic and practical calls. The sounds produced should also not be overly repetitive. Turn the device on and off randomly using the remote control to sound practical.
How long can my batteries last?
The lifetime of your batteries will entirely depend on the usage of the caller. For example, any device operating at high volume will consume more power compared to running at a low volume. For optimal performance, the volume level will be dependent on the distance you wish to cover.
At a premium price, the FOXPRO Shockwave is the go-to coyote caller. It is value for money since you will not require any additional upgrades for optimal performance. The four-speaker system makes it stand out from other electronic predator callers.
If you are working with a conservative budget but still want to have a great coyote hunting experience, the FOXPRO Inferno is the best choice. It is a reasonably affordable and popular caller. It comes equipped with 75 sounds, which are expandable to over 200 sounds with powerful speakers that produce high-quality sounds that will lure coyotes from afar.
Alternatively, if you need something light, affordable, yet powerful, the FOXPRO Deadbone will offer you the best value for your money. It sports a sturdy and tough exterior to protect the device, and comes pre-installed with 15 high-quality FOXPRO sounds.
Related links > The best night vision binoculars > The best thermal scopes
Last update on 2020-08-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API