One of the most famous mid-sized cartridges in existence – .22-250, celebrates a half-century after its standardization by Remington and represents one of the best all-around, long-range .22 varmint cartridge available today. The .22-250 caliber rooted its name from the wildcat combination of a .250 Savage case and .224 caliber bullet. As for the most of calibers, the selection of the best scopes for 22-250 rifle depends on cartridge specifications and intended use.
In brief, with its flat trajectory out to 400 yards the .22-250 Remington ammunition is great for small game hunting, especially if you shooting varmint beyond 400 yards. With its ability to reach more than 4,000 feet per second, this light recoiling rifle round is an excellent cartridge for long-range target and varmint shooting, but it also has tactical applications. Varmint hunters use the .22-250 Remington rifle cartridge because the combination of the small-bore bullet of high velocity reduces excessive penetration and eliminate ricochets.
Since the .22-250s travel so fast and are very accurate with almost no kick back, best scopes for .22-250 rifle will ensure some tightly grouped shots at 600 yards, and even further. In addition, the .22-250 ammo is cheap and fun to shoot, so this is the reason more to invest in a better quality telescopic sight. A powerful .22-250 rifle that can shoot longer distances is only useful with excellent optics. There are several aspects to consider when you are looking for the best varmint scope for .22-250, and they are ranging from your budget, through magnification to the resistance to wear, water and fog.
Throughout this .22-250 scope review, we will focus on riflescopes specifications like lens coating and quality, magnification, the field of view, adjustments, reticle styles and overall durability. As first, you should know that the most important component of any optical instruments is glasses, and good glass doesn’t come cheap. There is one rule claiming that you should spend nearly as much or even more on a riflescope than you did on a weapon. In this review, we have encompassed several trusted brands that offer models that can handle not only medium and long distance varmints and target shooting but also very long range targets over 500 yards.
- Best Scope for 22-250 Rifle – Our Review
- 1. Nikon BLACK X1000 Review
- 2. Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15×42
- 3. Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10X44 Review
- 4. Leupold Vx-5hd 2-10x42mm
- 5. NightForce COMPETITION 15-55x52mm
- 6. Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm
- 7. Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50
- 8. Athlon Helos BTR 6-24×50 MOA
- 9. Swarovski Optik Z5 3.5-18×44 BRH Reticle
- 10. Steiner GS3 4-20x50mm
Best Scope for 22-250 Rifle – Our Review
1. Nikon BLACK X1000 Review
- Specialized reticles and adjustment Systems in Black x1000 are glass-etched mrad or MOA tactical-style Variants with illuminated option
- Full multilayer coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. Field of View : 6.8 -27.2 ft @ 100 yds
- Each of the Riflescopes in this series features a turret-mounted side focus Parallax adjustment to enable fine-tuning of the sight image without changing shooter's position
- Consistent Eye relief keeps your brow safe, while the exposed turrets are engraved for maximum readability while offering smooth, repeatable adjustments
One of the best varmint scopes for .22-250 is bearing Nikon Sport Optics label and belongs to their family of BLACK series riflescopes introduced in 2017. This Nikon lineup encompasses 4-16×50 and 6-24×50 models with X-MRAD or X-MOA tactical-style reticles dedicated to the long-range shooters and its perfect match for your .22-250 Remington rifle.
All scopes from Black X1000 series feature a 30mm main body tube machined from the aircraft grade aluminum alloy. The scope body is O-ring sealed to prevent moisture from entering interior and nitrogen purged to prevent glass fogging.
The 4-16x50SF boasts full multi layer coatings on all air-to-glass lens surfaces for bright and high contrast sighting at all magnifications.
A Black model 4-16x50SF have X-MRAD or X-MOA ballistic reticles placed in Second Focal plane, (the SF in the name).
Each of the riflescopes in the Black X1000 lineup has a turret-mounted side focus Parallax adjustment with integrated reticle illumination control with 10 intensity levels.
The Nikon BLACK X1000 is affordable long range rifle optics without bells and whistles and on par with other offerings in this class. With an ample four-time zoom optical system and spring-loaded instant zero-reset turrets, the new BLACK riflescopes can be applied to virtually any shooting application.
The open, tactical-style turrets tracked perfectly whether you choose MOA or MRAD option. Both knobs have ¼ MOA or .1 MRAD click graduations while the riflescope delivers 90 total MOA and 25 MRAD internal adjustment travel, respectively.
The Nikon BLACK X1000 Series is made in the Philippines like most of its counterparts and it is targeted towards the entry-level precision rifle shooter with a limited budget.
- The Razor HD LH 3-15x42 is an ultra-sleek, lightweight hunting scope. High density, extra-low dispersion lenses and premium XR coatings combine to produce razor sharp resolution from edge to edge.
- A highly forgiving eyebox gives generous eye relief. The locking ocular focus ensures your reticle always stays sharp and crisp.
- A single piece, hard anodized tube enhances strength and durability. Armortek coatings protect exterior lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- Strong o-ring seals and argon purging guarantee water and fogproof performance even in the worst weather conditions. Objective Lens Diameter: 42 mm
- The Razor HD LH gives hunters and shooters premium optics and performance in a streamlined, light-weight package.
The Razor HD LH 3-15×42 is quite smaller than its older, big brothers from popular Vortex Razor series are. Anyway, the new Razor HD LH (High Density, Light Hunter) is made in Japan and featuring 42mm objective glass, it is designed to be a compact and lightweight accessory for your .22-250 rifle.
Measuring at only 16.5 oz., and featuring 5x power range and high-density extra-low dispersion glass the Razor HD LH could easily become the best varmint scope for .22 250 rifle, particularly for those people who are looking for one of the lightest long-range scopes for their varmint rifle.
Whereas any minimalist can appreciate keeping down an overall weight of the rifle, the Razor HD features all standards typical for its class. The scope body is constructed from a 1-inch single piece of aircraft-grade aluminium, which is argon-filled to take away chances of fogging.
The waterproof tube is fitted with O-ring seals to prevent moisture and dust from entering the housing.
Parallax is addressed with a side focus and can be set from 20 yards to Infinity. The scope has long eye relief 3.8-inch across the magnification range.
The Razor LH 3-15×42 delivers stunning image quality due to XR Plus premium fully multi-coated lenses. Applying ArmorTek coatings, Vortex has protected all exterior lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
Vortex engineers have blended details of classic German Number 4, BDC hash-marks and a target dot in the new G4 BDC reticle design. While this SFP (second focal plane) ballistic reticle enables you to determine ranges out to 500+ yards, the non-illuminated but heavier sub tensions are suitable for low light conditions.
The capped turrets for windage and elevation feature mid-size profile and offer 1/4 MOA impact point correction.
As with all Vortex scopes, with Razor HD LH series you will receive VIP, full-replacement or repair lifetime guarantee.
- The Viper HS 2. 5-10x44 is one of multiple configurations in the Viper HS (Hunting & Shooting) line. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for any hunting or shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over would be a concern.
- In the advanced optical system, the XD glass renders an image that is sharp and clear from edge to edge. There are XR multi-coated lenses allowing you to capture the most light from dawn till dusk. The 4x zoom range will pull you close to your target.
- Featuring capped quick-reset turrets you will be able to quickly reindex your zero after sighting in. They're built on a 30mm main tube which increases the amount of elevation and wind age travel for optimal adjustment.
- Ultra-hard, scratch resistant Armortek coatings protect the exterior lenses of the scope. Argon purging provides fog proof and waterproof performance. The hard-anodized matte black finish is extremely durable and looks awesome too.
- Whether hunting whitetail in the Midwest or elk in the Rockies, the Viper HS is designed to be your all around workhorse optic.
One interesting and new model comes from the Vortex flock and belongs to their mid-priced line of Viper HS (Hunting & Shooting) scopes. The Viper HS 2.5-10×44 pretends to be the successor of classic 3-9X scopes but it provides more magnification versatility with 4x zoom range.
The strong single-piece central tube is sealed with O-rings and argon purged to prevent internal fogging and provide waterproof performance. Because it is based on 30mm machined aluminum tube the Viper HS delivers increased 86 MOA adjustment for windage and elevation.
While this extremely compact unit for a 2-10×44 scope measures at 12″ long and weighs about 16oz., it may easily qualify for the best scope for .22-250 rifle.
The other selling point and trait that the hunters would particularly appreciate, is an objective bell featuring a mid-size 44mm lens as a compromise between compactness and light gathering.
In addition, the XD lens elements are multi-coated with patented Vortex VX l anti-reflective coatings for optimum light transmission. All exterior lenses surfaces are protected with scratch resistant Armortek coatings.
The scope is equipped with capped quick-reset turrets for extra protection to keep the adjustments from unexpected impacts during harsh field use. The turrets increments are marked in ¼ MOA per click and they matched the reticles graduation.
The Viper HS in 2.5-10×44 is available with the V-Plex or the Dead-Hold BDC reticle, both positioned in the second focal plane (SFP) and without illumination.
4. Leupold Vx-5hd 2-10x42mm
- Model #171386 - VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with Duplex reticle and Matte finish
- 100% Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof.
- Pop-up re-zero finger click windage and elevation adjustments assure maximum adjustment range, precision and insant re-zeroing
- Twilight Max HD Light Management system - Adds up to 30 minutes of shooting light, best in class glare reduction, and edge to edge HD lens clarity
- Guard-Ion Hydrophobic Lens Coating - Extremely durable, scratch resistant and sheds water, dirt, and fingerprints
Another universal riflescope in this guide for the best varmint scope for .22-250 rifle comes from Leupold and falls under their new line of VX-5HD riflescopes, introduced in 2017.
While it carries classy Leupold look with a recognizable signature gold ring and the sleek profile, VX-5HD is a lighter variant of company’s VX-6HD and comparing to them VX-5HD riflescopes come with 5 times zoom factor.
Leupold’s VX-5HD 2-10x42mm incorporates high-definition calcium-fluoride lenses, called a Twilight max light management system. That proprietary lens coating maximizes the light transmission in blue and red colors, providing a visible advantage to hunters during dawn as well as dusk.
All of the exterior glass on the 2-10x42mm scope has layers of Leupold’s Guard-Ion coating, designed to shed water, dirt and fingerprints.
The VX-5HD line features pop-up Windage adjustment knob protected by a cap whereas the Elevation turret can be dialed without removing a cap. These turrets have a 1/4 MOA click value with a 120 MOA maximum adjustment of both settings.
The riflescopes from VX-5HD line comes with ZeroLock 2 (CES-ZL2) elevation turret that allows you to find your load’s zero and lock it in.
This Leupold riflescope also includes in a box one free Custom Ballistic Dial; a clever designed Custom Dial System (CDS) for your specific load. Elevation turret comes with ZeroLock 2 (CES-ZL2) that allows you to find your load’s zero and lock it in.
The VX-5HD 2-10x42mm scope is one of the six VX-5HD models, and it is the only one coming without an illuminated reticle. You can choose either simple Duplex reticle or FireDot Duplex reticle, both set in the second focal plane.
The Leupold 2-10x42mm riflescope provides generous 3.8 inches eye relief at all magnifications, a handy feature when you might be shouldering the rifle quickly.
The central 30mm scope body is constructed from 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and in combination with the humble 42mm objective lens it weighs only 16.4 ounces. The larger, single-piece main tube is sealed for waterproofness and filled with the argon-krypton mixture for a fog-free use at low temperatures.
- 52mm objective lens
- Second focal plane
- Competition/Target turrets
- Waterproof and fogproof
- Non-illuminated reticle
Nightforce first introduced a family of Competition riflescopes in the year 2013 to offer an enhancement over its NXS and Benchrest riflescopes. Nightforce Competition 15-55×52mm scope is highly specialized optics for stationary shooting and for competitive use at a known-distance match such as the long-range benchrest as well as F-class target shooting.
As such, Nightforce Competition has found its place in this .22-250 scope review, as a viable option for this flat shooting caliber.
Although the Nightforce competition scope looks similar to the tactical optics, it is differing in several crucial details. Nightforce Competition riflescopes series offers four different second focal plane reticle options.
The selection of very thin SFP reticles is a better solution for very high magnification as they should cover as little of the target as possible. The reticles come without illumination since you normally do not need an illuminated reticle for target shooting.
”Tactical style” target knobs feature a ZeroStop function, providing with every rotation 5 MOA of adjustment.
Another of the most notable attribute of the Nightforce Competition is its huge 15-55x magnification range. Whereas it is excellent for the long-range targets, the powerful magnification comes at the price of a relatively small eye box; eye relief is humble 3.15 inches.
A similar case is with scope adjustments that come with .125 MOA (eighth-minute-of-angle) clicks for both elevation and windage turrets. While great for use at a predefined distance, they limited scope adjust-ability to 55 MOA of vertical adjustment, which is mostly insufficient for the needs of extremely long-range shooting.
The scope features extra-low dispersion or ED glass and side knob for parallax compensation that can be adjusted from 25 yards to infinity.
With 30mm central tube made from single piece aircraft-grade aluminum, Nightforce Competition 15-55×52 riflescope measures descent 27.87 ounces, which is considerably lighter than its Benchrest and NXS counterparts.
6. Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm
- Designed for serious, technical, long-range precision rifle shooters, both tactical and competitive; Excellent resolution optics and tactical-appropriate reticles and adjustment knobs make it easier to identify targets and adjust for windage and elevation
- Versatile 5x zoom system allows for a larger field of view at close ranges and better target acquisition at long ranges; Ergonomic side focus and easy-to-reach parallax adjustment from 50 yards to infinity for improved accuracy at long distances
- Zero Click Stop adjustment knobs for quickly and easily reverting back to the original yardage setting without counting clicks; Advanced windage and elevation adjustments for accurate and repeatable reticle adjustments
- High-grade optical glass provides excellent brightness and clarity with lasting durability; Precision-gauged and hand-fitted internal assemblies maintain a consistent point of impact through the magnification range, regardless of shock and vibration
- Scope is waterproof and the nitrogen-filled body tubes prevent internal fogging in the cold and rain; Triple internal spring-tension system allows the scope to hold zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations
Burris Optics has entered the field of “Tactical” riflescopes with XTR II (Xtreme Tactical Rifle Scope) series introducing it on Shot Show 2017 in Las Vegas.
Although Burris premium line of riflescopes is designed for serious competitive and tactical long-range precision rifle shooters, the XTR II 5-25x50mm model will, without doubt, be a great optics for plains game hunting and one of the best varmint scopes for .22-250 Remington.
The combination of the huge 34mm body tube and 50mm objective lens help in low-light performance, offering varmint hunters better contrast and clear images in dawn and dusk.
The robust XTR II scope housing is machined from 25% thicker tube profile than the original XTR series and nitrogen purged for fog proof use at low temperatures. XTR II features a 5-times zoom system, which allows for a larger field of view and better target acquisition.
The XTR II features Hi-Lume fully multi-coated lenses and new scratch-resistant ˝StormCoat˝ coating on the outer glasses, which also causes water to bead and shed off the lenses.
The Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm scope sports the exposed tactical turrets, enhanced with XT-100 click adjustment knob. The dimensionally matched precision adjustment knobs come with 100 clicks per rotation to provide easier calculations and faster adjustments.
While all high-magnification XTR II riflescopes like our 5-25×50 model have front focal plane reticle design, you can choose reticle either in MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA configurations.
Burris XTR II 5-25X50 is available G2B and SCR (Special Competition Reticle). Both illuminated reticles are designed primarily for competitive use but will also work great for open plains hunting.
Whereas the XTR II provides darker and somewhat less clear picture at the highest magnification, it should be mentioned that Burris price tag is considerably lower than the high-end European glass.
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity
- 100% quality materials used and tested extensively
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
- Adjustable power, tactical target scope with 6 to 24x magnification and a 50-millimeter objective lens
- Illuminated Mil-Dot reticle with one Mil click value; target turrets; blacked-out finish for concealment
Today in arms bazaar “Tactical” is an inevitable word and optics sights have not been excluded from this trend. Bushnell Company has jumped on the bandwagon upgrading their Elite 4200 series of riflescopes with some tactical features such as the mil-dot reticle with 1/10-mil click adjustments and the first focal plane (FFP).
Such optics` configurations are usually called “mil/mil” scopes and in addition, Bushnell Elite Tactical series have tall target-type turrets that allow for increased 70-MOA windage and elevation adjustment ranges.
Utilizing nearly 1/8 inch thick tube walls, the 30mm housing of the Bushnell Elite Tactical riflescopes is very firm and hefty at 27-ounce, but it is further strengthened via a “cold molding” process, which generates a more durable element than hammer-forging.
Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50 features Ultra Wide Band Coating and fully multi-coated lenses for better light transmission at dawn and dusk and excellent image sharpness and contrast.
All outer lens surfaces are protected with RainGuard HD anti-fog technology while the scope’s interior is purged with argon gas for long-term reliability,. The scope comes with saddle-mounted parallax, which focuses, from 25 yards out to infinity.
The combination of 4-time zoom power, an illuminated Mil-Dot aiming reticle and a large, light-gathering 50-millimeter objective bell make this Bushnell Elite 6-24x riflescope ideal for all kind of hunting or tactical use, especially in low light conditions.
The only negative refers to only 3″ short eye relief which is on the lower end of the acceptable range.
The Bushnell 6-24X 50 like other scopes from Elite Tactical line are produced by one of Japan’s premier optics manufacturers.
8. Athlon Helos BTR 6-24×50 MOA
- First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out
- Locking feature on both elevation and wind age turrets allows you to simply pull up the turrets to Dial and push down the turrets to lock them in place
- Fully multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a Brighter image than Normal single coated lenses
- Argon purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability
- The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment
Athlon Optics is a USA based company in the Kansas City area with production facilities placed in both Japan and China. Their more expensive Helos BTR (Bright Tactical Reticle) line is made in Japan and consists of two models: 6-24×50 and 8-34x56mm.
Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50mm is released to the market on Shot Show 2017 and immediately attracted the attention of long distance shooting gun community.
All Athlon Helos BTR series of rifle scopes sports the reticles set in the first focal plane (FFP), rugged 30 mm main tube and exposed tactical turrets with .zero stop function. Furthermore, both scopes boast 4 times magnification range, which makes them versatile in multiple shooting disciplines.
The tall, open style turrets provide with 1/4 MOA steps ballistic and wind-shift corrections within range of a 60 MOA. The Athlon Helos BTR rifle scopes are built from durable 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum whereas the tube is filled with inertia gas Argon to purge any moisture out of the housing giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.
The Athlon Helos BTR features fully multi-coated inner lenses for better light transmission and all external glasses coated with ˝XPL coating˝ for scratch resistance and dirt.
As dedicated long-range riflescope, Helos BTR 6-24 x 50 easily find its place in this .22-250 Scope Review, particularly if we consider Helos specialized APLR2 illuminated MOA reticle with dense stadia and a tree-like ballistic grid under the center.
Though the eye relief of 3.3″ can be discouraging when using high-powered rifles, it shouldn’t be a problem with .22-250 rifle.
- Heavier reticle version of the popular BRX reticle with 5 x zoom
- Compensates for wind drift up to 20 MPH
- Can be used to estimate range to the target
- Eliminates the need to make turret adjustments to your riflescope
- designed for long range shooting
Swarovski Optik has reaffirmed their reputation as a manufacturer of high-end European glass with a new Z5 line of riflescopes. Perhaps the two most notable attributes of the Swarovski Z5 scopes are the remarkable 5 times power ratio placed in very compact 1-inch (25.4mm) housing.
Hence, all Swarovski Z5 models are slender, lightweight scopes with low profile making them one of the best scopes for .22-250 rifle or other lighter and similar compact rifles.
Featuring a large field of view and generous power range in the small and light package, the Z5 lineup has been a hit with hunters, especially those who hunt in either wooded forest or the vast, open plains.
The Swarovski Z5 scopes are non-illuminated, but they offer large, rugged turrets with distinctive adjustable clicks with the option of ordering a ballistic turret (BT). This means that the Z5 3.5-18X riflescope with a ballistic turret will enable you to easily adjust the reticle at three pre-defined distances, marked with three different colors.
The Z5 riflescope is available with the several ballistic and plain reticle set in the second focal plane, but our 3.5-18X44 model boasts BRH reticle, a heavier version of the popular BRX reticle, designed for better low light visibility for big game hunting.
Utilizing an aluminum material in construction and a moderate size 44mm objective bell, the Z5 scope will ensure small weight followed by a low profile on your rifle and reduced parallax issues. On the Z5 riflescope, the third turret controls the parallax compensation for more accurate long shots in open fields.
10. Steiner GS3 4-20x50mm
- COLOR ADJUSTED TRANSMISSION (CAT) amplifies contrast in the peak human vision sensitivity range, to spot game in any environment.
- NANO PROTECTION hydrophobic molecular coating creates a lens surface so smooth water sheets off and dirt, dust, snow and fingerprints are repelled for easy cleaning and a clear view.
- PLEX S1 RETICLE helps determine holdover for distance and cascading dots/lines compensate for wind.
- WATERPROOF - Submersible to 33 ft, depend on O-ring sealed, nitrogen filled construction to provide moisture free performance.
- HERITAGE WARRANTY - We stand behind our products. Period! We will repair/replace defective products at no charge for the lifetime of the product. Warranty does not cover damage, loss or theft.
The Steiner 2-10×42 riflescope is a member of a new GS3series of riflescopes from the renowned binoculars manufacturer Steiner Optik from Germany.
If you’re looking for a hard-wearing optic for hunting in all terrains, consider this Game Sensing riflescope, which packs a ton of features into a fairly light and compact package. The length of the Steiner GS3 2-10×42 riflescope is 13.5 Inches and it weighs moderate 18 ounces.
With durable construction and rugged 30 mm aircraft grade aluminum tube filled with nitrogen, the GS3 scope is ready for an unflinching and all-weather performance.
The main selling point of this newly developed series of hunting riflescopes is Steiner’s Game Sensing feature. Actually, it is about lens coatings dubbed a Color Adjusted Transmission (CAT). These coatings amplify contrast to visually separate our quarry from its surroundings that are either leafy or shadow-dappled.
This Steiner premium optics comes with several reticle options placed in a Second Focal Plane, and our model sports simple, non-illuminated ballistic Plex S1 reticle.
With a large objective lens diameter and a wide 5x zoom range, Steiner 5004 model offers maximum versatility for hunting game and immediate shooting from 30 to 450 yards in a matter of seconds.
The low profile, capped turrets provide 48 MOA of windage adjustment and 64 MOA adjustments for the .elevation. The knobs have increments of 1/4 MOA per click.
In an above content you might have found a perfect candidate for your .22-250 rifle and also you have probably concluded that our selection encompassed mid- and high-end glasses that financially more leaning towards the European scopes budget.
When you are in a quest for the best scopes for .22-250, you may find that all modern scopes claim to have industry-leading optical features appropriate for any shooting activity.
However, in this best varmint scopes for .22-250 review we have clearly divide optics on those purpose-built for stationary shooting and ones more mobile for predators shooting and other types of hunting.
Related links > Vortex VMX 3T Review > The Best scopes for 300 Win Mag > The Best scopes for .30-06 > Vortex Razor Review > The Best scopes for 450 bushmaster
Last update on 2020-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API