Choosing among the best scopes for .308 rifles all comes down to the magnification and recoil the optic can handle. The .308 Winchester is a potent round made for full-powered calibers for long range shooting to reach 800-yards. However, with the right optic equipped to your weapon, you can shoot out to 1000 yards.
You can find them in both fixed and variable magnification and with the right one; you can determine how large the target appears. This is where finding the correct magnification and field of view becomes a difficult task. The reason there are different rifles copes available and you need one with the best distance, clarity, durability, and construction. Therefore, it is essential to spend a bit more on quality, and we are here to help you find one.
- Check out or pick of the 10 Best scopes for 308 Rifles
- 1. Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60×52
- 2. Viper PST Gen II 5-25×50 Scope Review
- 3. Primary Arms 1-6 GEN 3 Reviews
- 4. Leupold VX-R 1.25-4×20 Firedot Review
- 5. Nikon Monarch 3 4-16×42 BDC Review
- 6. Athlon Argos BTR 8-34×56 FFP Review
- 7. Burris Eliminator 4-16×50 Scope Review
- 8. Nightforce 2.5-10×42 NXS Review
- 9. Swarovski Z5 5-25x52BT Scope Review
- 10. Millett Buck Gold 4-16×50 Riflescope Review
Check out or pick of the 10 Best scopes for 308 Rifles
Are you a competitive shooter? Do you want to stay ahead of the game? You need the Golden Eagle with its unique features and competitive price to be at the forefront of your match. Why, because it has a second focal plane reticle with ⅛ MOA clicks to help make adjustments according to your needs.
No matter what contest you take part in the Vortex Golden Eagles made for you. Furthermore, you can use it for hunting and tactical shooting as well with the waterproof and fog proof performance. Easily one of the best scopes for 308 rifles out there.
The lens is Armotek coated to protect the optic from dirt and scratches. For, making that record shot you get 15-60x magnification with a lightweight design for positive tracking as well.
The ECR-1 MOA reticle you can use for holdover, estimating range, and wind drifts correction.
- he Golden Eagle HD is specifically designed for competitive shooters in F-Class, Bench Rest and other shooting disciplines with targets at known distance. A finely subtended, second focal plane reticle and 1/8 MOA clicks help you make subtle adjustments.
- High density, apochromatic lens elements are index matched and generate sharp, high definition images. Premium, XR anti-reflective coatings deliver maximum brightness at the highest magnificaiton.
- A side focus adjustment eliminates down range parallax. An aperture stop ring broadens your depth field allowing you to more easily observe mirage and wind indicators while keeping your target in focus
- A 30mm maintube machined from a single piece of aircraft grade aluminum provides a highly reliable platform for taking precision shots. At 29.5 ounces, you'll be able to adhere to strict competition limits.
- O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Golden Eagle delivers waterproof and fogproof performance. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- Made with Optical Indexed Lens to optimize image sharpness and brightness
- Comes with optional 10 MOA Windage Turret
- Constructed with extra-fine resolution turret of 0.125 MOA per click to make small adjustments that help fine-tune shots
- Shockproof to withstand recoil and comes with aluminum lens caps
- Magnification: 5X to 25X with a 52mm objective lens
- Field of View: 219 feet @ 1000 yards
- Elevation, Windage and Parallax Adjustment: ¼ MOA
- Eye Relief: 3.74-inches
For the best tactical scope for 308 rifles, look at the Viper PSTGenII for long range shooting. With the 5-25 x 50 first focal plane optic, you get versatility.
You can use it for close encounters to shooting targets at long range. If you are a shooter who dials the turret for bullet drop and wind compensation, you will appreciate the laser-etched turrets.
Furthermore, you get adjustable parallax with fiber optic rotation indicator to keep your turret in position to make a perfect shot. The reticle is detailed, uncluttered, and offers you ten intensity levels with off positions between each setting. You can use it in any lighting condition with the fully multi-coated lens.
The Viper has a waterproof and fog proof construction making it a reliable riflescope to use at the shooting range or in the wild.
- The Viper PST Gen II takes incredible performance and rock solid tactical features to new heights. The 5-25x50 first focal plane riflescope is incredibly versatile and ideal for close to long range shooting scenarios.
- Shooters who dial their turrets for bullet drop and wind compensation will appreciate the laser etched turrets, adjustable parallax and the RZR zero stop. A fiber optic rotation indicator ensures you can keep track of your turret position with ease.
- The reticle offers shooters highly functional, intuitive, and detailed hold points, yet remains uncluttered for optimal viewing and features 10 intensity levels with off positions between each setting.
- Extra-low dispersion glass increases resolution and color fidelity. XR fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Viper delivers waterproof and fog proof performance while the single-piece, aircraft-grade aluminum construction gives shooters a durable platform.
- Made with a glass-etched crosshair with an illuminated reticle for low-light shooting
- You get a tactile point of reference for turret rotation with fiber radius bar and fast focus eyepiece
- Comprise both a precision-force spring system with glide erector system for smooth magnification
- Consist of tactical turrets for adjustments on the move
- Reticle: EBR-2C with ¼ MOA adjustment graduation
- Max Elevation Adjustment: 70 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment: 35 MOA
- Parallax Setting: 25-yards to infinity
Another tactical scope you can use with your 308 rifles is the Primary Arms optic. The optic is powerful and suitable for long-range hunting. The FFP scope makes taking those long shots precise and deadly.
Furthermore, it has a unique combined sighting system reticle making it suitable for moving targets, range estimation, and bullet drop compensation regardless of the magnification level.
The Gen III is lightweight and shorter compared to other MOA scopes available. Additionally, it comes with a 10 MOA internal adjustment, and the crosshair features a chevron center aiming point.
You can use it with the battery included to provide you with an illuminated reticle as well with eleven settings to use from dusk to dawn.
The lens is fully multicoated, and the body anodized with a matte black. The riflescope is shockproof, waterproof, and fog resistant. The needed characteristics of one of the best scopes for 308 rifles.
- Variable 1-6x magnification second focal plane scope features the ACSS Standard reticle for 5.56\5.45\.308
- ACSS reticle combines BDC, wind holds, moving target leads, and range estimation in an easy to use system
- Partial red illumination with 11 brightness settings powered by a common CR2032 battery
- IP67 waterproof and fog resistant with a 6063-aluminum scope body and matte black anodized finish
- Lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects, materials and workmanship, and even normal wear and tear
- Equipped with a power ring to adjust the magnification up to 6X
- Comprise diopter ring to adjust the crosshair focus
- Made with windage and elevation knob with illumination knob
- Covered with a lifetime warranty
- Reticle: SFP with ½ MOA adjustment graduation
- Bullet Drop Compensation: Range up to 800-yards
- Reticle Design: ACSS standard 5.56/5.45/.308
- IP67 Waterproof
Do you need a variable-power tactical riflescope to use in volatile situations? Then you need the VX-R Patrol optic with its Firedot reticle comprising of eight settings to get on target fast.
The crosshair makes use of hash marks instead of dots and will help increase the ranging and holdover. For quick target acquisition, the 10 MIL diameter circle helps a lot.
You can use the scope even in harsh daylight to get on target quickly. The construction is lightweight for handling and feels at home on hunting rifles as well.Another unique feature is the motion sensor that switches off after five minutes of inactivity and reactivates when detecting movement.
The lens has a blue and red coating to provide you high contrast in any situation you find yourself. For using during summer to winter, the Leupold stays clear and bright without fog and holds zero for a long time under heavy recoil. Furthermore, it makes for a great AR riflescope as well.
- Leopold Model #113769 - VX-R Patrol 1. 25-4x20mm with Illum. Fire Dot SPR reticle and Matte finish
- 100% Waterproof, fog proof, & shockproof
- Illuminated Reticle, ideal for lowlight conditions
- Motion Sensor Technology extends battery life by deactivating illumination after 5 minutes of inactivity
- Twilight Light Management System adds up to 10 extra minutes of glassing light
- Made with illuminated FireDot Duplex style reticle
- Lightweight at 12 ounces for handling and speed
- Waterproof and Fog Proof
- Offers you a linear field of view of 29.4 at 100-yards
- Eye Relief: 4.17inches
- Objective Diameter: 0.79-inches
- Elevation Adjustment: 130 MOA
- Windage Adjustment: 130 MOA
As a .308 shooter, you push the cartridge to its limit and need a riflescope with high magnification. The Nikon Monarch 3 is one of those308 BDC scopes that do exactly that.
Furthermore, the optic has a BDC 800 reticle that is great for .308 users who prefer speed, and the holdover reticle makes it easier to get on target.
The crosshair comes with a dial-in configuration and consists of a NikoPlex and Rapid Action Turrets.
The turrets are simple to use, and all you need to find out is the distance to your target and rotate the turret to place the reticle at the center and pull the trigger. You get a one-piece solid base and adjustable with your finger.
Furthermore, the side focus helps adjust parallax with ease.
- Featuring MONARCH 3 Eye Box Technology with 4-time zoom range and up to four Inch of eye relief
- Adjustments are made easy with Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
- A quick focus eyepiece allows the shooter to instantly bring the reticle into focus
- Ultra ClearCoat Optical System for up to 95% light transmission
- Optimized for use with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
- Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
- Quick Focus Eyepiece
- Four Times Zoom Range
- ClearCoat Optical System and made to use with Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
- Magnification: 4-16X with a 42mm objective lens
- Turret Adjustment: ¼ MOA
- Eye Relief: 4-inches
- Reticle: BDC 800, NikoPlex, MilDot, and German #4
The Athlon Argos BTR comes with a first focal plane reticle giving you great image quality for long range shooting. Right through the zoom range, the crosshair stays aregular size to the target making sub tension calculations simple at any power.
You get a positive and accurate MOA turret adjustment, and all fine-tuning is smooth.
Compared to a spotting scope the 34x magnifications perfect for leaving the latter in your truck and only use this optic in the field. Furthermore, it comes with side parallax adjustment for crisp details.
The AMPR FFP IR MIL reticle is easy to use and offers you a better contrast when hunting. The crosshairs etched to the glass making it able to withstand the recoil of the .308 cartridge.
Additionally, the numbers are thick and visible to see and noticeable for holdover in a snap. Therefore, if you want the best mil-dot scope for .308 rifles you can find it with an affordable price.
- Bundle includes: Athlon Optics , Argos BTR , Riflescope , 8-34 x 56 #214066 and 2 High Ring Mounts.
- First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out.
- Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
- Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
- The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it
- First Focal Plane Reticle for quick target engagement at low power with precise holdover position
- Illuminated and Etched Glass Reticle made for high recoil
- Comprise a waterproof, shockproof, and fog proof construction
- Fully Multicoated Optic
- Magnification: 8-34 with a 56mm objective lens
- Exit Pupil: 7-1.7mm
- Eye Relief: 3.3 inches
- Click Value: 0.1MIL with 5MIL adjustment range
For the best scope for 308 long-range shooting, you need the Burris Eliminator. The optic offers you precision and is very accurate with the rangefinder built-in. You get a consistent aim to the target with every shot you make. Using the point and click interface is quick and understanding the concepts simple.
With the device, you can open up your world to making accurate long-range shots, and it is easy to program. Furthermore, the riflescope has an X96 reticle that works with both bullet drop and wind calls. You can also use the rangefinder for ranging non-reflective targets out to 750-yards and 1,200 yards.
The optic is equipped with 4-16 magnification and has a 50mm objective lens. The Eliminator is not light in weight and weighs 26 ounces and suitable to use on .308 rifles. Everything on the device works with a push of a button, and the holdovers precise.
- Sport type: Hunting, Shooting
- 25 feet at 100 yards (low) to 9 feet at 100 yards (high) field of view
- 10.5 millimeters (low) to 3.5 millimeters (high) exit pupil
- 50-Inch at 100 yards maximum adjust
- 13-Inch long
- Built-in Laser Rangefinder
- Built-in Inclinometer
- Calculates the holdover and provides you with wind and heads up information
- Comes with enhanced software and remote capable
- Magnification: 4-16x with a 50mm objective lens
- Exit Pupil: 12.5-3.1mm
- Elevation and Windage Adjustment: 40 MOA
- Parallax: Adjustable 50-yards to infinity
If you are serious about shooting,you need the Nightforce NSX made for long-range acquisition on targets. The optic comes with side parallax adjustment with a digitally controlled illuminated reticle.
You get both red and green reticles and hold the last setting used. Furthermore, it also comes with a night-version compatible configuration.
To top it all, you get up to seven crosshairs to choose from, and this one has a MOAR reticle. However, all the reticles are in the second focal plane. Furthermore, the constructions weatherproof to withstand high to low temperatures and the lens optically indexed to provide the best light transmission.
The fantastic thing is you can dish out anything at it from torturing the chamber, dropping it to banging it. You will quickly shoot out to 800 yards as the adjustments work flawlessly, as needed in one of the best scopes for 308 rifles.
- MOAR illuminated reticle in red and green
- Parallax adjustment knob that works with a power throw lever for swift magnification
- Resettable target turrets
- Weatherproof and can withstand recoil
- Magnification: 2.5X to 10X with 42mm objective lens
- Field of View: 44 feet (2.5x) and 11 feet (10x) at 100-yards
- Adjustable Range: 27.3 mils, 25 MOA, or.1-mil clicks
- Eye Relief: 3.5-inches
To facilitate your long-range shooting, you will not be disappointed with the Swarovski Z5 riflescope. The optic offers you versatility and suitable to use with multiple applications.
The one-inch riflescope offers you a 5X zoom for exceptional magnification and large field of views. Compared to other .308 riflescopes this one offers you up to 66% wider FOV.
As the magnifications variable, you can use it for close to long-distance shots with ease. With the color-coded dial on the turret helps, make estimating the holdover for ballistic drop at extended ranges simpler. Even focusing is comfortable with dioptric correction ring found on the eyepiece.
The optic is available in five different reticles, but this ballistic turret model only comes with one crosshair. Further, the device is weatherproof and lightweight and offers you a large eye relief.
- 1.0" Tube
- 4W Reticle
- 2nd Focal Plane
- Ballistic Turret
- Nitrogen-Purged: Waterproof and Fogproof
- Waterproof to 13 feet
- The lenses are multi-coated to optimize light transmission and scratch resistant
- Side focus parallax correction
- Has a 4W crosshair in the second focal plane
- Magnification: 5X to 25X with a 52mm objective lens
- Field of View: 219 feet @ 1000 yards
- levation, Windage and Parallax Adjustment: ¼ MOA
- Eye Relief: 3.74-inches
For the best MilDot scope for 308 rifles, look at the Millett Buck Gold. The magnification power of 4-16X with the 50mm objective lens is ideal for long distance shooting.
The optics multi-coated and offers you a 3.5-inch eye relief. Therefore, when it comes to recoil, you feel assured you are not getting a knock in the eye.
The mil-dot bar crosshair has a bright green color you can adjust according to your lighting conditions. Even using the elevation adjustments is a breeze with the 0.1mm click. The lens offers you clarity and brightness and holds zero when used with a .308 caliber.
Furthermore, you can take it with you hunting as the constructions weatherproof and comes with side focus adjustment as well. So why not try it and let us know what you think.
- 100% quality materials used and tested extensively
- Adjustable green illumination with 10 brightness settings for precision in varied lighting conditions
- Variable power from 4 to 16 times magnification with a large light gathering 50mm objective lens
- Fully multi-coated optics for bright images
- Mil-DotBar system functions as a standard Mil-Dot with the addition of a thin line for easier alignment
- Reinforced Variable Magnification
- Comprise a unique coil spring system
- Magnification: 4X to 16X with a 50mm objective lens
- Field of View: 29 feet (4x) and 8 feet (16x) at 100-yards
- Adjustment Click Value: ¼ MOA
- Eye Relief: 3.5-inches
How do you choose among the best scopes for 308 Rifles?
For choosing the best MOA scope for a .308 rifle, you need to think about the kind of shooting (tactical, close-range, hunting) you will be doing. The optic needs to provide you with accurate viewing up to 500 yards. Furthermore, you need to pay attention to the construction with proper sealing of the tube. The lenses need to be scratch-resistant and filled with argon on nitrogen to prevent fogging.
Alternatively, it must be shock absorbent to withstand the recoil of the .308 caliber and provide clarity without distortion at long distances. You need to be able to view objects clearly in any light condition and easy to use when it comes to magnification. The reticle needs to be good without giving you excessive eyestrain. Using the optic must be comfortable when making adjustments on the move.
What size scope do you need to use with the .308 rifle?
All of the above riflescopes you can use for shooting at long distances and the magnification best used is from 2.5X to 32X. You can also look at an objective lens from 50 to 56 mm.
Does magnification change the MOA?
Yes, it does and depends on the scope you use as the magnifications amplified. There are two focal planes an optic can use the 1st or front focal plane and the 2nd focal plane. With the latter, there is no effect on the minutes of angle regardless of the magnification used. Using the second focal plane, you will compensate magnification.
When considering to pick one of the best scopes for 308 rifles, your budget plays an important part. The fantastic thing is that all the .308 scopes presented on the list come at reasonable prices to fit in with any financial plan. Therefore, if you want close to long-range shots, you can solve your problem using any of the optics above.
You will get clarity, distance, and solid construction. Furthermore, adjusting and sighting in with each device is a breeze. So if you are ready to take up tactical, competitive, to target shooting you will not be disappointed using any of the .308 optics presented here. Therefore, if you plan on hunting make sure you invest in a good riflescope that lasts.
Related links > The best 45-70 scopes > Vortex VMX 3T Review > The best scope for 300 win mag > The best scopes for .3006 > Vortex Razor Review
Last update on 2021-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API